North Dakota Women Celebrate Their Female Friendships on Galentine’s Day
February 13 is Galentine's Day. A day to gather your best gals together to celebrate friendship. It's a day for women to leave husbands, boyfriends and significant others at home and get together, have fun and create memories.
Galentine's Day was created by Leslie Knope, the fictional main character of one of my favorite tv shows, Parks and Recreation. She invented the holiday as a tribute to her close girlfriends. In the 2010 episode, Leslie plans a brunch for all of her closest friends, complete with presents, hearts, declarations of love and lots of mimosas.
No, you don't have to be single to celebrate Galentine's day. Anyone and everyone can participate because at its heart, Galentine's Day is a celebration of friendship and the people who stick by your side as romantic relationships come and go.
How Can You Celebrate Galentine’s Day?
Ultimately, it's just about spending time with and celebrating your gal pals. There's no right or wrong way to do it up. But if you need a little inspiration here are some ideas.
1. Ice Skating. Enjoy this old-school pastime with your girlfriends — without worrying that you’ll look silly when you slip and fall.
2. Host a Sleepover. Who says pajama parties have to end in middle school?
Play childhood games of truth-or-dare, MASH, etc. Or make it adult with some alcoholic beverages, a charcuterie board, and a fun game like Cards Against Humanity.
3. Meet for Brunch. I'm a sucker for catching up over waffles and bottomless mimosas.
4. Get Matching Tattoos. Tattoos are an amazing form of body art with deep meanings and representing a bond you'll always share.
5. Get Pampered. To quote Parks & Recreation characters Donna and Tom, "Treat Yo' Self!" Meet your ladies for a spa day - a mani, pedi, facial or other luxurious treatment.
6. Have a Bunko night. Play cards and eschew all things romantic. Bonus points if you and your pals teach each other to play new games you haven’t played before.
7. Host a Potluck. It doesn't have to be fancy to have fun. Invite all the ladies to bring a dish to your place and enjoy drinks and reminiscing in the comfort of your home.
8. Road Trip. Whether you take a day to drive to the next town or a weekend to trek, a road trip with the girls is always an excellent bonding experience.
9. Bowling. Gather the gals and hit the lanes for a good ol' game of bowling. Split a pitcher of drinks and try not to laugh at how goofy you look in your rented shoes.
10. Host a Movie Night. Watch some movies that celebrate female friendship. I have a few suggestions, Now and Then, Steel Magnolias, Thelma & Louise, Bad Moms, Bridesmaids, Girls Trip and Romy and Michele's High School Reunion.
Karaoke night, wine swaps and cooking classes are other popular ways to observe Galentine's Day. And watch for local promotions. It doesn’t matter if you’re going out, staying in, celebrating with your best friend or your whole crew, Galentine’s Day is a fun tradition all women can enjoy.