70th Annual Hard Spring Wheat Show In Williston Is A Huge Success
Williston and Williams County have plenty to be proud of, and yesterday was another event that left organizers smiling as the day wrapped up! It was the 70th Annual National Hard Spring Wheat Show. The day started at 7:00 am with an AG appreciation breakfast sponsored by American State Bank & Trust company, followed by a welcome shortly after 8:00 am. Those who greeted the crowd included Williams County Commissioner Beau Anderson, Dusty Berwick, president of the County Commodity Elections, and Kelly Leo, an agent with NDSU's agricultural and natural resources department.
Yesterday's attendance at the National Hard Spring Wheat Show in Williston exceeded expectations by a wide margin. On February 1, the Grand Williston Hotel & Conference Center hosted the 70th annual gathering of farmers, producers, vendors, and attendees. Expectations for attendance were in the range of around 100. NDSU Extension Agent Devan Leo claims that over 100 people registered online in addition to walk-ins. One spokesman estimates that at least 150 to 160 individuals watched the keynote speaker's presentation.
Evan Shout was the keynote speaker, and he talked about how technology, humans, and agronomy have changed the 5% rule. Other speakers touched on topics including weather, herbicide resistance and palmer amaranth, small grains, soil fertility, commodity updates, and the 2023 market outlook. The sessions were very informative and well-attended.
Lunch was served at 12:00pm and included a sponsor recognition. This event is one the community always comes out for in full force. See for yourself how long area businesses have sponsored.
- North Dakota Wheat Commission 36 years
- Western Region Economic Development 36 years
- Mountrail-Williams REC 35
- Western Cooperative Credit Union 35
- American State Bank 34
- Ag Country Farm Credit Services 33
- First State Bank 32
- 660 KEYZ News Radio 32
- First International Bank & Trust 31
- Williams County Soil Conservation District 30
- Ray Farmers Union Elevator 26
- Williams County Farmers Union 25
- Opportunity Bank of Montana - Culbertson 7 Froid 23
- The Roundup/Ag Roundup 20
- Bayer Crop Science 19
- Farmers Union Oil Company of Grenora 18
- Zunich-Johnson Agency-Farmers Union Insurance 18
- Dakota West Credit Union 17
- Border Plains Equipment LLC 15
- New Century Ag 19
- Birdsall Grain & Seed 9
- Kohler Communications 6
- Williston Economic Development 6
- Central Life Sciences 4
- Thrivent Financial 4
- ND Rural Association of Rural Electric Cooperatives 3
- Acme Tools 2
- BASF 2
- Kalil Law Firm 2
- Red Rock Ford 2
- AGT Foods 1
- Nutrien Ag Solutions 1
The night wrapped up with a dinner co-sponsored by Williams County Farmers Union and the National Hard Spring Wheat Board. The evening entertainment featured Valley City native, Greg Hager. Everyone was happy to be back at the newly remodeled Grand Williston Hotel & Conference Center.
Thanks to the sponsors, volunteers, and organizers who put on a great show! We are already looking forward to next year!